Wednesday 23 November 2011

But nothing compares

     For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. See, I did pay attention in a science class along the way somewhere. Or else I heard it on TV. Either way, tis true! And unfortunately, while this may seem like an admission of failure, I'm going to go for it anyway. However amazing it is on your own, sometimes there's nothing nicer than having a partner.
     I'm not saying I want one...yet. But I have to say, there are times when I do miss having someone around. No matter how fabulous my own company is, it's always nice to have someone else to bounce off. My previous statements were all true, but as I am writing this, I am lying in bed (over on my own side, still haven't quite graduated to taking over the whole bed) and am fantasising about a hug. And I feel quite pathetic for stating that. But it's true. The downside of being single, and there are just as many negatives as there are positives, are things like having no one to make me tea and toast on a weekend morning (or afternoon in my case) no one to help me find my glasses when they go missing for the seventeenth time that day, no one to help me figure out what lightbulb I need when the one in the kitchen goes. No one calling me on their way home to see if I need anything. No one randomly picking me up flowers just because (actually, nobody did that anyway, I have gotten used to buying my own flowers for myself every few weeks) no one to surprise me for with having dinner being.
     And while it is all well and good to be able to stand in front of your mirror on any given day and moan and bitch about the fact that you hate your body and not have anyone stare at you like you have actually lost the plot, it can be lovely to have someone tell you to stop being silly, and that you are gorgeous just how you are. Is it sad that people need validation like that? I'm generally a happy person, but prone as everyone is to dark days about themselves, I am no different and in general I do have a low opinion of what I look like. I don't think too much about it, but every so often it does come up. And on the days that that happens and I am drowning in a sea of self-loathing and hateful body imagery, it can be such a comfort to have someone you really love, someone you really fancy and want, to put their arms around you (dark haired toned armed boys for me if possible, if you see any of them lying around in a haphazard manner, send them on!) and tell you that you are beautiful and gorgeous and that they're happy to be with you.You may not believe a word that comes out of their lying mouths when they say these things, but it's always, always wonderful to hear.
     For all my wanting to be left alone and to take care of only myself, that's another thing that is lovely about being in a happy relationship, looking after your other half. I miss having someone to fuss over and look after. I miss buying them things that they like, I miss seeing their face when I have got them some wee surprise from the shop, or have in my house a certain food that they like, or buying the Sunday papers without being asked to. I miss being appreciated. Not that I know for a fact any previous boyfriends actually appreciated me, no one really knows for sure, but I like to think I have been. I miss having a guinea pig for my dinner recipes that I have cut out of the paper, having someone offer to do the dishes, curl up on beside them on my ridiculously small couch and watch a terrible film, and inevitably falling asleep on when the tedious film becomes too much for me.
     I miss kissing. Maybe it's me, but I absolutely adore kissing. It's better, personally, than anything in the world: tea, dogs, family, crisps, ciggies, vodka, Home and Away, reading, eating, sex, sunshine, it trumps everything! OK well maybe not family. Or tea. Or dogs and Alf Stewart or reading for that matter, but it's bloody important right? I love how a great kiss with someone you are really into can lead anywhere, it can lead to a night of debauchery, solo lovin' or even just leave you on cloud nine for a few days. It can feel like you're on a rollercoaster, trapped inside a stunt plane, and then placed on top of a topsy turvy ferry with your stomach doing flips! As we speak I an drifting off into a reverie of kissing someone I really have the hots for...
     So as I lie here on my own, count yourself lucky if you have someone to do all of the above with. I know, I honestly do know that relationships are never perfect, and that it might seem like I am looking at them through rose tinted glasses, but I'm really not. A lot more goes into them that what I have mentioned, sometimes they are hard work, other times they are sad and unfulfiling, I know that when they're wrong, they can be miserable, but when they're right, they're great! I just wish that I had someone to kiss me, and to cuddle into and go to sleep. Just for tonight...
     

No comments:

Post a Comment